Wednesday, May 28, 2014

The Single Life - Children

One of the hardest parts of being single at 40 is that I have not had the opportunity to have children.  I always wanted to be a mom.  I love being around children.  They are happy and full of life. Plus I am still a child at heart. Luckily I have had many opportunities in my life to be surrounded by children of all ages.  I have taught in Primary at my church.  My favorite age groups have been when I taught the 5 year old class and now the 7 and 8 year old class.  It is such a joy to be around children who know that our Father in Heaven loves them.  They love to learn and just want to be loved.

I have also been lucky to be an aunt.  I have a 10 year old nephew, 7 year old niece and 10 month old niece.  They are my life.  I love them as if they were my own.  When my nephew was born I had Wednesday's off from work and he would come over almost every Wednesday to play with my mom and I.  I really got close to him. He gave me my first nickname.  He called me ChiChi (pronounced  cheechee) for the first three years.  He stopped suddenly one day and started calling me Lisa. I miss my nickname.  He calls me ChiChi once in a while and it always makes me smile when he says it.  We are still extremely close.  We enjoy playing video games together and he talks to me about all of the books he has read.  My niece is my mini me.  She looks a lot like me and often when we are together people think she is my daughter.  She is quick to say I am actually her aunt and it is a compliment.  Just this week she told me I was her BFF (best friend forever).  We love to talk about Disney princesses, play Fairy games and sing songs together.  I haven't had as much time to spend with my new niece but I know I will as she gets older.  She is a doll.  She just learned to crawl and she recognizes me when she sees me now. 

Even though I have not had the chance to have children of my own I have been blessed to have children in my life.  I have come to terms with the fact that I may not be able to have a biological child.  I am getting older and my illness (PCOS) could also complicate things if I were to get married and try to have a child.  I hope that one day if I do have the opportunity to be married that either he will have children that I can love as my own or that we can adopt a child who needs a family.  Regardless I have children in my life that I love, who have blessed my life and who I can also bless and nurture in other ways. 

No comments:

Imagination Unlimited

Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world. ---Walt Disney

"It has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid."—--Walt Disney