Sunday, February 2, 2014

First Week of Training

I know I said I was excited about the Half Marathon but this week I got a little nervous about it.  What if I can't maintain the 16:00 minute mile that is required to complete the race?  What if I get injured?  What if it is super hot?  What if?  What if?

I decided that I need to think positively.  I can do this.  I can walk a 15:00 minute mile so I should be fine.  My training is going great.  Besides it has only been one week.  I have until August 31st. 

I chose to do Jeff Galloway's Run Walk Run method for my training.  I love it.  You complete 4 days of Run/Walks, 2 days of 30 minutes, 1 day easy walk and the 4th day is a long run/walk that increases in mileage each week.  The other days you do cross training.

Day 1 --- 2.65 miles 26:24 min
Day 2 --- 2.06 miles 31:36 min
Day 3 --- 1.29 miles 20:02 min
Day 4 --- 3.31 miles 51:18 min

I did a little extra light walking on my cross training days.  I need to figure out some good cross training exercising to do on my non run days.  As far as my health goes I am feeling great.  I have a little more energy and I am starting to sleep better at night.  Next week I need to focus on eating better.

2 comments:

Simply So Good said...

I'm excited for you. You can do this. Key to staying injury free is to increase your weekly mileage only 10%. Take it easy and remember nutrition plays a big part. You go girl!!!!

Shauna said...

I'm totally proud of you! You can do it! I'm not as ambitious but I find that when I keep up a regular exercise routine (yoga is my exercise choice and way harder than I thought it would be) I feel better and sleep better.

Imagination Unlimited

Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world. ---Walt Disney

"It has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid."—--Walt Disney