Friday, June 13, 2008

More on The Job

The job is getting a little better. It's not a fun job by any means. However, it's not really a hard job and when I walk out the door I am able to leave work behind which I was not always able to do with my last job. The atmosphere is entirely different than my last job. It has been quite an adjustment. They are a lot more serious and don't talk much. It's quite lonely most days. I know we should be working most of the time but I don't even get a hello or goodbye. Everyone just comes in, goes to their cubicle and starts working. At my last job I knew everyone and I always had someone to talk to. My co-workers were so friendly and we actually talked about life not just work. I miss that a lot.

To top things off, today was Friday the 13th and computers were acting weird and some even crashed. I am not really a superstitious person but the last three Friday the 13th's have been a bit crazy. I have had odd computer problems on all three. I know they occur throughout the rest of the year too but they just seem extra weird on Friday the 13th. Today, we had a computer change it's IP address in the middle of the day on it's own. If you are not a technical person that basically means it changed it's identity on it's own. That is a bit tricky to do from what I know about IP addresses. Especially on the highly sophisticated computers we have in my department. After all we are EDI (electronic data interchange) and connected to all sorts of networks and such. (That's me trying to sound computer savvy. I really don't have a clue if that is even correct!) We lost connectivity to all programs and it was like the computer was brand new. Nothing was saved, no documents or programs worked. Luckily, we were able to switch it back and everything was saved up to the point where it had switched. It was just spooky. I have never seen that happen on a normal day!

No comments:

Imagination Unlimited

Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world. ---Walt Disney

"It has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid."—--Walt Disney