Thursday, June 26, 2008

Girl's Night Out

Last night I went to see "The Drowsy Chaperone" at Capitol Theatre. One of my best friend's went with me. We haven't seen each other in about 5 years. We send emails and catch up through each other's blog but we hadn't actually seen each other in person for 5 or 6 years. We have grown up together and have known each other since we were 5 years old. We have always had a common interest in musicals and so when I had an extra ticket available I invited her to come along. We made it a night out. It was so much fun catching up. It was also fun to meet her three cute sons when I picked her up at her house. It was fun to be with an old friend. One who knows so much about me and enjoys most of the same things I do. We laughed about some of the things we had done as teenagers and we talked about getting older and all the crazy things that happen in life. It was a perfect Girl's Night Out.


We were so excited when we arrived at Capitol Theatre and read that Man in Chair would be played by JONATHAN CROMBIE. If you are a fan of Anne of Green Gables (the movie versions) he plays Gilbert Blythe. I love Gilbert! Jonathan Crombie is Canadian and has that great Canadian accent. I love Canada! I have only been there once, well actually twice but it was on the same trip. But I loved every minute that I was there and the Canada pavilion at Epcot is my favorite. But that's another blog! We went to Vancouver and then Victoria. One day I want to go to Prince Edward Island and see the Anne of Green Gables sights they have there. Anyway, back to the musical and Jonathan Crombie.


Here he is as Man in Chair.


He was hilarious. I only wish we had been sitting closer or that I had remembered to bring my binoculars. His role as Man in Chair is the main role. The story line is this; Man in Chair plays a record of his favorite musical. As we listen the musical comes to life in his living room. The musical we see come to life is "The Drowsy Chaperone" which tells the story of a Broadway starlet trying to find and keep her true love. Man in Chair jumps in and tells about the characters and the actors who played the roles. He tells us which are his favorite scenes and his not so favorite scenes. He joins in the dancing and acting. It is a musical inside of a musical. Very entertaining!

As the show began a woman with a very distinct voice came on the stage and I immediately recognized her voice. I couldn't place where I knew her from though. It took a few scenes and finally I figured it out. "Everybody Loves Raymond". She was the mother of Amy (Robert's wife) on that TV show. She was also Georgette on the Mary Tyler Moore Show. Yes, it was Georgia Engel. If you have never seen this musical I highly recommend it.


It was a great night. I needed this fun night after having a couple of really lonely and frustrating weeks. The best part of the night besides seeing Jonathan Crombie was when we arrived at my car at the end of the night. First, we got off the elevator on the wrong level and couldn't see my car so we got back on the "elevator of nausea" and went back up to the lobby level where we had started. The door open and no one got on because we were going up not down. We went up one level and then back down to the lobby and this time added a few people. We then went back down to Parking Level 1 (not our level). A few people got off and we hope and pray that the elevator goes down to Level 2. Yes, finally I see my car. We walk to my car and there is a baby bird sitting on the roof. It was cute but I wanted it to get off my car so it wouldn't get hurt when I drove away. It wouldn't move. I opened my door and started to get in and then it decided to move which of course scared me out of my mind. "Don't land on my head." I screamed as I hurried and jumped into my car and close the door. My friend gets in on the other side and is laughing at me. "That is going on the blog." So, there is it. She opened my moon roof shade to see if the bird was still on the roof. She couldn't see it. We both hope it flew away when I screamed.

No comments:

Imagination Unlimited

Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world. ---Walt Disney

"It has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid."—--Walt Disney