Training Recap - Week 7 and My First Race
This was a big week for me. Race week! I had my first official race ever on Saturday. It was a 10K in downtown Salt Lake City. The Leprechaun Lope at Capitol Hill/Memory Grove area. It was a tough race. The entire first half was uphill in cold canyon winds I was not expecting these conditions. When I registered it said the route was mostly flat with a slight hill about halfway through. NOT TRUE! It was super hard. I almost quit twice. When it came to the point where the 5K runners turned off and went a different direction I wanted to quit and just do the 5K. But I didn't I wanted to finish what I started so I continued up the hill and into City Creek canyon. My right shin was really killing me and I was having trouble breathing as we got about halfway up the canyon. I wanted to just turn around and quit. But at that point the rest of the runners were coming down the hill and cheered me on as they went past. One of them said, "You are almost to the turn around point. You can do this. You will be so proud of yourself in the end." That gave me the energy I needed to continue up the hill. Once we started going downhill I knew I could finish. I was almost able to get back to my walk/run ratio. Thankfully I had a wonderful friend helping me along the way. I would not have been able to finish without her. I knew I was the last person in the race. My friend had only signed up for the 5K so she really wasn't doing the 10K. As we exited the canyon and turned into Memory Grove I saw the finish line. I started to get emotional. I pushed myself to run across the finish line and tears of pure joy filled my eyes. I did it! I finished the race. Yes I was the last person across the finish line and my time wasn't great but I finished and that was all that mattered.
Sunday March 9--Rest day. Fitbit log 1,266 steps
Monday March 10--Fitbit log 4,192 steps
Tuesday March 11--1.53 miles 26:20 min Fitbit log 10,707 steps
Wednesday March 12--1.84 miles 31:24 mins Fitbit log 8,750 steps
Thursday March 13-- 1 mile 20:03 mins. Fitbit log 7,804 steps
Friday March 14--Rest day (or it was supposed to be) Fitbit log 7,854 steps
Saturday March 15-- RACE DAY 10K 1:53:01 Fitbit log 22,496 steps
Imagination Unlimited
Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world. ---Walt Disney
"It has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid."—--Walt Disney
1 comment:
You were not last across the finish line. I was :)
Post a Comment