Friday, July 25, 2008

Pioneer Day Celebration

Pioneer Day (July 24th) is a big holiday in Utah. It's the day we celebrate the pioneers coming across the plains and into Utah. It's also called the Days of 47. We have a big parade downtown, a rodeo and we even have a Days of 47 Royalty. A couple years ago my dad and I had the opportunity to volunteer at the parade. I walked along side one of the floats throughout the entire parade. It was so much fun. I love parades and it was fun to be a part of this big event. I walked 10 miles that morning and could hardly walk the next day but it was worth it. I walked along side of the Mama's Church Choir float which is a crowd favorite. They are a big gospel choir from a local church (i forget the name). They were a fun group to be with. This year I only caught the end of the parade. I was sick the day before with a kidney stone and infection. I slept in and completely forgot about the parade. My day was not quite the same after missing the parade.

Pioneer Day is like a second 4th of July for my family. Jared and his family come over for the evening and we have a fireworks show. We buy some fireworks and sparklers and create our own little show. The sparklers have had a theme the past two years. Last year they were Harry Potter wands. We had just finished reading the final Harry Potter book in our family. This year they were light sabers from Star Wars. Ethan has watched the first two Star Wars movies, actually it would be 4 and 5, he lives and loves Star Wars. So we all had to do a light saber fight with our sparklers. Then we had the fireworks show. This year all of our fireworks had a music name which started out as a just a theme and then turned into a joke. The karaoke classical, karaoke blues and karaoke rock and roll all sounded the same to us. It was still fun. My three brothers really know how to make things fun. They tried to launch a paper cup three or four times with the fireworks. It never did work but hey they tried. The finale was fabulous. Party Hardy and Forever Young were the big fireworks. They loaded the two big fireworks with sparklers around the edges and then lit the sparklers. One of the sparklers was attached to the fuse of the big firework and started them going. It was perfect. Overall it was a great day!

No comments:

Imagination Unlimited

Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world. ---Walt Disney

"It has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid."—--Walt Disney